Tenuta Carretta Wines
Although less well known, the other firm is equally important for the town’s economy; it was founded by Giuseppe Miroglio in 1947 and now operates in 34 different countries producing fabrics and clothing with annual sales covering over 800 million Euros. It is therefore hardly surprising to also find the Miroglio name in the world of wine; the family started this venture in 1985 after buying the historic Carretta estate at Piobesi d'Alba.
This property included the splendid villa, which once belonged to the Counts Roero, who gave their name to a vast area to the west of the river Tanaro; their coat of arms - three wheels on red background - can still be admired in the villa.
The Roero property is still the family’s main operating centre, even though, over the years, other land has been purchased and not just on the west banks of the river; these acquisitions include prestigious cru like the Bordino in the territory of Treiso (in the Barbaresco DOCG) and the Cannubi in the municipality of Barolo and is perhaps the most important vineyard in Piedmont.
These are the most important wines of the estate, although the Arneis, Barbera and Nebbiolo wines are also interesting and beautifully presented in a line that highlights the professionalism and commitment of a house whose 70 hectares make it one of most important winegrowing producers in Italy.